October 11, 2013, 8:00PM
with Chateau Marmont
At El Rey Theatre, Los Angeles, CA
1. Follow us on Twitter or LIKE our Facebook Page.
2. Email us at contest [at]ellenwood-ep.com with your FULL NAME, EMAIL ADDY AND TWITTER HANDLE.
3. RT the band/show you wanted to see on twitter that we posted.
4. Winners will be contacted via email and twitter confirming your pair of tickets. We will announce the winner the day before the show.
We thought we knew Lou Doillon, but there was more to her. As she says in all simplicity, “I had every reason in the world not to go into music.” So throughout her career as a young actress and international model, the daughter of Jacques Doillon and Jane Birkin was holding back a part of herself: the singer.
Lou had secretly been playing guitar and writing songs in English, her “private language”, for years. Without the presence of Étienne Daho, an insatiable music-lover and fond tutor, she would probably never have made the leap into the unknown. So the release of her first album, Places, has come as a relief for Lou Doillon and marked the start of her new career. Its title is a double reference: to the place she can now take on the musical chessboard, and to her personal journey.
The album was originally released in Europe on September 3rd, 2012 via Universal France, and quickly achieved critical praise. It achieved double platinum status in France, where Lou also won the French Grammy for “Female Artist of the Year.” The chanteuse will make her US debut with the release of Places on June 18th, 2013 via Verve Records.
“Before, Lou was between two worlds – fashion and movies. With this album, I think she’s finally found her world,” observes Zdar, the man with the silver hands (Phoenix, The Rapture, Beastie Boys, Cat Power, etc.) who mixed the record in his Paris studio. “There was a kind of lunar conjunction between Étienne Daho and Lou Doillon,” he adds, summing up the amazing, improbable album. As we listen, we are reminded of great artists past and present: Karen Dalton, Joni Mitchell, Feist and others. “Lou seems more of a soul than a rock singer to me,” says Daho, whose production and dazzling arrangements on Places are his finest yet.
The first single off the album “Devil or Angel,” an immediate classic, is an emotionally revealing song showcasing Lou’s effortless storytelling ability. The album continues to showcase Lou’s unique voice and timbre. “ICU,” the opening track to the collection, is a revelation with haunting vocals, compelling melody and twilight ambience. Describing days of melancholy passing at the pace of a drum roll, “One Day After Another” is reminiscent of Patti Smith’s narrative art, while “Make A Sound’s” pop immediacy holds a reference to its writer’s “leaded wings”. Much like Cat Power, Lou Doillon is equally at home with an acoustic range (the iridescent clearing in the middle of the album: Same Old Game) and brass-backed soul (Jealousy and Questions And Answers – two visas for Memphis). These livelier tunes also heighten the depth of her startlingly flexible voice.
The strongly autobiographical lyrics reveal years of transience, a troubled personality and a rebellious nature. “I cope with my great weakness as a woman, and to do so, I insist on a masculine approach,” said Doillon. “In fact, the whole album is dedicated to men.” Tracks such as “Same Old Game” have a cathartic value for the singer, who is fascinated by the writing of Leonard Cohen and Lhasa’s work.
We thought we knew her, but in just forty minutes, Lou Doillon turns things upside down, and has metamorphosed into a matchless singer-songwriter.
- J.Phlip Announces First Headlining “Everybody On The Floor” North American Tour - September 30, 2014
- LI XI SHARES NEW SINGLE “CARRIAGES” + DEBUT ALBUM “MEET ME SOMEWHERE” IS SET FOR RELEASE OCTOBER 2014 - September 30, 2014
- Cathedrals premiere “Unbound” video + 10/23 at Neon Gold’s NEW SHAPES CMJ - September 30, 2014
- Dirty Dishes – Thank You Come Again - September 30, 2014
- NAVVI Announces // (Two) EP, Releases Video Teaser EP // Out November 18th - September 30, 2014
- The Ting Tings – Do It Again (The Penelopes Remix) - September 30, 2014
- #EPTICKETGIVEAWAY: Sir Sly and Wolf Gang with Secret Someones at the El Rey Theatre 9/29 - September 29, 2014
- Better Than Ezra Storm Back Into the Alternative Scene With ‘All Together Now’ - September 26, 2014
- #EPTICKETGIVEAWAY: Nick Waterhouse at The Mayan 10/2 - September 25, 2014
- The Preatures Release “Somebody’s Talking” Music Video + Tour Dates - September 25, 2014
- #EPTICKETGIVEAWAY: TBD FEST 10/3-10/5 at RIVERFRONT ST, WEST SACRAMENTO - September 25, 2014
- #EPTICKETGIVEAWAY: Goldenvoice Presents Cibo Matto (Featuring Nels Cline) At The Roxy Theatre 9/30 - September 25, 2014